Saturday, March 30, 2013

Movin' On Up

Madeline had another big day yesterday. First and foremost, she had a huge jump in her weight and she's now at 1320 g (almost 3 lbs!). Kristen and I have both noticed that she'll go slow and steady with her weight gain and then every week or so, she'll have a big jump. This is great news for lots of reasons and she's going to keep growing quickly as they are increasing or changing her feedings almost every day without any push back from her. She did have another change in the feeding and is now doing the bolus full time where she'll get about 26 mLs at a time every 3 hours. The bolus is a gravity fed tube that pushes the milk to her stomach much faster and the feeding takes about 15 minutes to complete. This is an even bigger change for her especially considering where she was just a week ago but she seems to be tolerating it OK so far. I can still see her struggling at the end a little bit but it's going to get easier in no time. Breathing wise, she's continuing to be do well and her settings were reduced yesterday back to where they were a few days ago when they got moved up a scosh.

With apologies to Madeline whenever she gets to read this a long time from now, I can report that my sweet daughter has left me aghast with the amount of poop that she creates. HOLY CRAP! Kristen had mentioned to me that it was getting ridiculous (my word not hers) what was in her diapers lately but I was in denial. Now that I've actually seen it, I'm no longer a non-believer. Prelude of things to come I'm sure.

She was wide awake when I got to hold her yesterday and very active as usual. The smallest things wear her her out (see previous paragraph) so it's really great when we get to be with her when she wants to play. Thankfully, the lights were also on too so lots of pictures were taken and I'll let them do the talking.
















1 comment:

  1. It needs to be said that Madeline is doing so well because of the constant attention, love and care Will and Kristen are giving this child. There are studies of the power of a human touch. Madeline is responding to you both and is as anxious to get home as you are to have her there! I am so proud of the parents you are, especially under such stressful circumstances. God Bless you all!

    ReplyDelete